- 3 large eggs
- 300g (10oz) plain flour
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) light muscovado sugar/ soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 410g fruit mince
- 500g (1lb) dried mixed fruit include cherries (cut the cherries in half)
- 20cm round or 18cm square cake tin, lined with baking paper or wax wrap
- To ensure the cake is positioned centrally in the oven, put one of the shelves just below the centre of it. Set the oven to 140°C
- Break the eggs into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Beat the mixture until smooth, use a cake mixer as its easier than by hand. Then spoon it into the lined cake tin. With a wet hand, press the mixture into the tin and smooth on top, so that it’s level.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 3 – 3.5 hours, or until the cake feels firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place the tin on a wire rack. Leave the cake to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin and peel away the lining paper. Wrap it in clean baking paper or wax wrap and then foil, and store in a cool place for up to 3 months.